Hello Friends, Welcome to my blog where I would love to share my passion of cooking with everyone. Suma

Thursday, April 2, 2020

Covid 19 Lockdown specials KANJI with Pickle 😍


We were on a trip for two weeks to Pune. Back home a lot of precautions due to the Novel Corona Virus. We went into home quarantine. What to do? Having enough rice and pulses. Looked in our garden. Found mangoes 🥭 bilimbi and rose apple( jambakka) in our garden. Picked some and made delicious pickles. Pickles are ready to have with rice, roti and even for dosa in contingencies.
Then prepared kanji. That’s rice porridge. We have enough coconuts in our garden. We use to make our own coconut oil. 
About kanji I am having nostalgic memories. In my teenage weekends and holidays my mom gives us ( we siblings) warm kanji or kanji water with grated coconut in it around 11am as a pre lunch meal. Really we don’t like that. But by compulsion we were forced to have that as a healthy food. I can even now imagine the taste off the soul food. Really a great meal. It’s warm, it’s fresh, its simple, it’s delicious and it’s rich with the grated coconut. The softness of rice and crunchiness of coconut gives it a great appearance and taste. As a teenager I thought amma is giving us kanji because it is so simple to prepare.
In my youth due to my official engagements it was so hard for me to cook all the meals. So found some shortcuts and the kanji theme worked out. I came to understand that kanji is easy to make and along with veggies it is a super food for growing kids. I started giving my kids too ‘kanji’ for breakfast. Thank God 🙏our kids enjoyed kanji.
Preparation 
Cook a glass of rice in three glasses of water in a pressure cooker for three whistles. I took full grain rice. Broken rice specially for kanji is also available in market. When the pressure is gone open it, add more hot water if you prefer it thin, add salt to taste. Transfer into a serving bowl. Add a cup of fresh grated coconut over and serve hot with vegetable curry like avial or thoran along with pappad and pickles.
Here we were having no other choice so had kanji with pickles. So delicious 😋 
Kanji (Rice porridge) with pickles

Pickles 

Mango and Bilimbi from our garden 
Add caption

No comments:

Post a Comment